|Home » Opener Installation|
General Guidelines on Installing
A New Chain Drive Garage Door Opener
by Ralph Davis, hgtv.com
with drill bits
door opener kit
- Assemble the tube that extends from the power unit to the door. Attach the pulley
to the front of the tube assembly. Then install the traveler, which slides back and
forth along the tube and opens the door.
- Insert the rear of the tube into the power unit.
- Slip the master link studs through the end of the chain and the slot in the traveler.
Insert the top link, and secure the connection with a retaining clip.
- Loop the chain around the sprocket on the power unit.
- Use another master link to attach the other end of the chain to the adjusting
bolt for the door. Attach the locking nut and the chain adjuster.
- Pull the cable through the pulley, and attach it to the traveler with a master
- Attach the header bracket above the garage door with lag screws.
- With the help of a friend supporting the power unit, attach the tube assembly
to the header bracket using a pin and locking clips.
- Use lag bolts to attach the mounting bracket to the ceiling. Be sure to screw
the lag bolts into ceiling joists.
- Use nuts and bolts to attach angle iron supports to the mounting bracket. Bolt
the power unit to the supports so that the tube is 4" above the door.
- Assemble the extension pieces that link the traveler to the door, and attach
the appropriate end to the traveler.
- Align the travel arm at the door, which should already be reinforced with angle
iron, and secure it with a shoulder bolt.
- Mount the beam sensor brackets 5" above the floor, and attach the beam sensors.
Wire the beam sensors according to the manufacturer's instructions.
* If the beam sensors detect any obstructions as the door is closing, the door
will reverse direction.
- Attach wiring from existing wall-mounted garage door switches to the power unit.
- Plug in and test the unit. Test the beam sensors by placing an obstruction in
front of them as the garage door closes.
If you don't see the part you're looking for, have technical questions or any other concerns, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us.